GATE vs CAT, Which one should you choose?
Most of the students during their college days wanted to prepare for either GATE or CAT, but they get confused between the two.
Here in this article, I am trying to solve the problem and discuss the details between GATE and CAT. So you can take a wise decision for your future.
Brief Details about GATE and CAT.
GATE is the short name for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.
As the name suggests, it is the aptitude test for engineering students only. There are a total of 29 engineering papers in GATE out of which you can choose only one or two (if eligible) as per your engineering stream.
Through GATE you will be eligible for taking admission to the MTech program.
Whereas, CAT is the short name for Common Aptitude Test.
As the name suggests, it is a common test for all kinds of graduates who have chosen Mathematics in their higher secondary.
There is only one common aptitude paper irrespective of streams.
Through CAT you are eligible to take admission in the MBA program.
GATE vs CAT? Which one is better?
I am going to discuss about the GATE and CAT through various points, considering multiple factors. So, that we can conclude choosing any one of them without confusion.
- Engineering graduates are only eligible to appear for GATE, whereas any graduate with a mathematical background is eligible to appear for CAT.
- IITs are the conducting body for GATE, whereas IIMs are the conducting body for CAT.
- Through GATE you get a chance to take admission in the MTech program at different IITs, NITs, other government as well as private institutions whereas, through CAT you get a chance to take admission in MBA program at different IIMs, IITs and other government as well as private institutions.
- GATE provides job opportunities to the best PSUs in India whereas, there are no such job opportunities directly through CAT.
- GATE and CAT both provide study in abroad opportunities.
- Fees for the MTech program through GATE from top IITs is around 3-5 Lakhs for the entire course whereas, fees for the MBA program through CAT from top IIMs is around 20-27 Lakhs for the entire course.
- Job opportunities after doing MTech even from top universities is very less whereas, job opportunities after doing MBA from average universities is also very high.
- GATE also provide some management course in some of the Indian institutes whereas CAT can only provide management course and you are not eligible for any other courses.
- You have to be technically sound in your subject to crack GATE with a good rank. As in GATE, 70% of the paper is a technical paper that is related to your chosen stream, whereas, there is no such technical paper asked in the CAT examination. CAT prepare a common paper for all the candidates and is based on Aptitude, Mathematics, English and Thinking and Logical reasoning. So you don’t have to be technically sound to crack CAT with a good score, but you must have good skills in solving problems of aptitude, English and Reasoning.
I have covered every aspect of both the examination so that you can choose wisely on your own.
As each and everyone has a different perspective, different aim and different approach, so here I am making it easy for you to choose by showing different perspectives also.
- If you are someone who doesn’t love the subjects of your stream and wanted to change your field, can choose CAT.
- If you are someone who doesn’t want to spend much on higher education can choose GATE.
- If you are someone you wanted to do government jobs in future can choose GATE.
- If you are someone you wanted to go abroad for earning can choose CAT.
- If you are someone who wanted to go for a teaching career can choose GATE.
- If you are someone who wanted to fulfil their dream to become an IITian can choose GATE.
- If you are someone who wanted to work for private companies with a fat paycheck can choose CAT.
- If you are someone with very good aptitude and reasoning skills can choose CAT.
- If you are someone who is already in a job with 12 months of experience or more can choose CAT.